________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CONTRIBUTE | ADVERTISE | SHOP | COMMUNITY | CAST | REVIEWS | CONTACT
2015-12-15: Hi! You're probably here because you did a Google search for 'plus sized horseback riders' or you saw my content quoted elsewhere. There are a couple of things I'd like you to know.

I am still here! But I am living away from my horses and not riding often. I could tell you a lie and say that I am, but I have always endeavored to give you the truth here. As a result, I'm not feeling terribly motivated to write blog posts and I feel out of touch with the community.

I'd love for you to stay a while and look back through the archives. Visit the links listed below. We still have an active forum community and I post on the Facebook page from time to time.

I have tentative plans to try to get more involved in the horse world in 2016, and I will absolutely share whatever that adventure becomes with you, so keep checking back!

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Taming the Wild Mustang

You see it in horse movies all the time - the young girl sits in the corner of the wild mustang's stall and he gets curious, comes over, snuffles her hair - their bond is forged immediately, and it is strong.

Almost 5 years ago, I sat on a bucket in the corner of Bronwyn's stall, covered myself with hay and wished that she would show an interest in me. She was so uncomfortable with my presence that she wouldn't relax enough to eat, gave me wide eyed stares, and turned her back to me. I must have spent the equivalent of a day attempting this method to bond with her - and she never gave in fully. Oh, near the end, there was an odd hair snuffle but she immediately jerked back to attention the second that I moved even an iota.

Last night, during a quiet moment in the barn, before I left, I snuck into her stall and sat my butt in the corner - flat on the ground - no escape route if she decided to trample me. She let a contented sigh out and brushed her nose through my hair, over my pants, dropped hay on me, turned back to her hay pile and continued to eat, checking back with me from time to time.

I talked with one of the other boarders last night about 'complicated' horses. Yes, I would say by times she is complicated - her long standing fear sometimes overrides her burning desire to please and serve. Her work ethic is sometimes interrupted by snow falling off the roof of the barn. She sometimes stands stock still in the crossties to be groomed and saddled, sometimes she dances around. Things that don't scare her today scare her tomorrow and things that scare her today are her best friends tomorrow. She can be complicated, quirky, foolish, even. But she has come so far, and I am so proud of her. We have definitely forged on through another new adventure this year, moving to a boarding barn, going into full work, even entertaining the idea of a second rider/leaser.

We didn't set any New Year's Resolutions last year except for her to get closer to me, to move off the farm and be near my new apartment, and we accomplished that, and so much more. I am looking forward to 2013 and everything it brings!

1 comment:

  1. That is huge progress! Surely a successful 2012! I look forward to seeing your goals for 2013, wishing you and Bronwyn a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete